Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"An Open Letter to Blizzard," or "It seems like everything I write online turns into a manifesto"

I have been a loyal Blizzard customer, as have millions of other people, for a very, very long time. I'm about to list my Blizzard cred–If you don't care about what products I bought, skip this paragraph. Warcraft II was the first PC game I ever beat and I have purchased it twice (once for the original, and again when you release Battle.net edition). I sunk a good two years of my life into online play of Diablo II and its expansion. I bought Warcraft III on release day, played through it a number of times, and eventually lost the disks and keys. Instead of simply pirating the game to satisfy my most recent craving, I actually re-bought it and its sequel in the Battle Chest. I own the WoW Battle Chest and the collector's edition of Wrath of the Lich King, in which I attained Alliance Loremaster (*almost* pre-nerf!) and helped my guild progress through nearly all of the 3.0-3.3 content (missing some hardmodes). Oh, and even though I got a hacked copy of Starcraft at a LAN like every other kid in America, I still bought the game AFTER THE FACT. Because I respect you, I enjoy the fruit of your hard work, and I admire your rapport with the fans on the forums. I am of the opinion that Blizzard is the single greatest video game studio on the planet.

Yeah, you guys rock. But I am extremely disheartened by Blizzard's plans to associate forum posts with a user's real name. Like, I'm about divorce you guys.

It's one thing to argue that being publicly associated with gaming can stigmatize people permanently and possibly hurt prospects for future jobs, friends, and dates. While I agree with my greasy-faced compatriots that this is indeed a noteworthy issue, I don't even want to bring that any further into the conversation, because it is so vastly overshadowed by a bigger problem–that you intend to willfully compromise the personal information of your most loyal fans.

What the hell, man? Mandatory Real IDs on the forums? As a student of computer science and being raised alongside the internet, I have come to respect that "real name" and "online" are two of the scariest things you can put together in a sentence. Even before the prevalence of social networking, search engines made it trivially easy to find out information about people. Any non-idiot knows that the world wide web WAS F'ING DESIGNED TO TURN SMALL PIECES OF INFORMATION INTO LARGE PIECES OF INFORMATION. With a single piece of information--a name, a phone number, an e-mail address, a flickr page, a photo, a school, pretty much anything, all but the most meticulously-protected identities unravel themselves when massaged the right way with the benevolent demon-god that is Google.

You and I both know that people are stupid. I am stupid, and I have said stupid things on the internet. Do you think I really enjoy having a poorly-written GameFAQs walkthrough for The Oregon Trail associated with my 22-year-old self? Nope, and even though I'm different than I was when 15-year-old Cary wrote about how to get from virtual Missouri to virtual Oregon, anyone who searches for my real name will find that FAQ. Time on the internet is, in a sense, binary. Sure, you can read timestamps and view threaded discussions and have the illusion of the passage of time, but really, all of the content in the universe falls into two categories: "posted online" or "not yet posted online." There is no statute of limitations, no expiration date, no magic killswitch that makes your online past disappear. There's not even a surefire way to give new content preferential treatment. No amount of apologies or explanations can erase a heated flamewar from 2003 or a hasty Tweet with swears in it.

Because of the internet's nasty habit of being a repository of human knowledge, I have serious concerns about the safety of your users–my online friends–if you were to start associating real names with online personas:

Let's say I get royally destroyed by an Undead Rogue in PVP (lol that wouldn't happen because I'm Paladin aka best class in the game, but just run with it). I mean, I get stun locked so hardcore that there's literally nothing I can do. This happens over and over and over, and he does a /spit to make it even worse. I pop over to a toon on his faction and send him a few tells about what I did to his mother last night, but he blocks me. But I'm still really, really mad about this dude, so I head on over to the ol' forums. Depending on what is associated with his character before this shift, I might have all sorts of juicy tidbits--maybe a reference to a location… maybe a flickr page… maybe even an e-mail address. Couple that with his real name (which would be pretty easy to get by just calling him out as a no-life mouthbreather and waiting for a response), and I'm all set to find out where this guy lives. By using public phone directories, as well as Googling any associated online handles, e-mail addresses, and finding his Facebook page, I can probably glean enough info to drive to his house and stun-lock his face with a crowbar.

Now, like I said, I play Paladin and I wouldn't get stun-locked by a Rogue, nor would I hit someone with a crowbar, but I can't honestly believe that there's not someone out there, playing your games, who wouldn't consider it.

Here's some proof of how creepy the internet is. I am about to seriously creep you out. I'm going to pick out a good-looking name from the credits of World of Warcraft (which I can find online, duh). Hmm, I choose "Eric Henze." That sounds like a relatively unique name. I don't know who that guy is, and I'm sure he's an extremely talented, wonderful individual. Let's see what we can find out about him.

EDIT: (italic text is added since original posting) I've decided that I have demonstrated the point about identity insecurity online and that this post has been viewed by enough people that I should probably get rid of the mini-biography. It has served its purpose. For those of you reading this for the first time, I shall summarize: I went on to show step-by-step how I found this person's screenname, location, workplace, work address, telephone number, home address, photograph, a photo of his house, his wife's name & photo, his college, his high school, his employment history, and so on. You can do this for most anyone under the age of 40. The purpose was not to target any individual, but rather to show just how easy it is to find out someone's detailed personal information online once you know their name. I want to thank Mr. Henze for being an unwitting subject of this demonstration, and I hope I have not caused him any hardship. Like I said before, I chose his name randomly from the credits of WoW.

I'll stop here, but I'm sure I could go on. The important message to take from this demonstration is that I started with ONLY the first and last name of someone listed in the credits of WoW–information that you, Blizzard, provided me.

Very few of us are immune to Google. I am certainly not immune, you are not immune, your mom is probably not immune. This is the power of the internet, and it's f'ing scary. By making forum users associate their online lives with their offline identities, you open up your users to a huge can of worms full of stalkers, prank phone calls, unwanted pizzas, and possibly even physical harm. Even the most careful of internet users are bound to slip up at some point. You'll notice that a good chunk of the information I was able to dig up about ol' Eric wasn't even put online by him!

For many gamers, forums are an indispensable resource and community. Please don't force us to put our lives at risk just because we want to chat with strangers about a video game.

Sincerely,
me

P.S. Cataclysm better not suck.

36 comments:

  1. Great post, I hope they hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I welcome this change
    The internet is a place currently where people can do what ever they want (well almost anything...) with out repercussion.

    Now that blizzard is putting names out there, people could search those names and find out all the bad things they have done.

    The internet has been a nice place to let your self go crazy. But this trip that people have been addicted to for years has to end some day.

    I for one am not a retard on the internet. The internet is real life and things you do on it will catch up to you and you will get in trouble from it.

    Many people around the world (famous or not) have there FULL PERSONAL information posted on the internet and nothing has happened to them.

    My name is Scott Hellyer (not the hockey player) or Morag, tehmorag, Morag0 and I support blizzards ideas on making the game, and soon to be, the internet a more enjoyable place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're going through with this come hell or high water and its just the beginning. Read the blue post. MORE changes to come in the future. No plans of slowing down.

    Post all the smarmy blogs you like. As long as they get your money, they don't care

    Cancel NOW. Its too late for Blizz, but you can send a message to the rest of the gaming community that we wont put up with this crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Morag:
    You're insane if you think that being forced to reveal your info on the internet will make it a safer or more enjoyable place.

    By the way, I already have your full contact info, and some other stuff I won't even mention. You're really okay with everyone who plays Blizzard games being forced into being so exposed?

    You're not thinking about the whole picture. This isn't going to make trolls too afraid to do what they do. It's just arming them with one of the most dangerous pieces of info they could ask for from their victims, which they can use as a springboard to find out tons about them, and wreak havoc on their lives far beyond just the Battle.net forums.

    Wake up. Blizzard is not making anyone safer. And what do you mean "soon to be, the internet a more enjoyable place"? They don't control the internet, thank god.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Morag!!

    It's belkira, are you stalking me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they scrap this idea as a whole. I will and cannot support this company should they go through this.
    I've also already told my local media aka newspapers, tv news and a couple local radio stations.
    The word needs to get out so that everyone has a say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, Morag, your post really is ridiculous.

    "Many people around the world (famous or not) have there FULL PERSONAL information posted on the internet and nothing has happened to them"

    And a lot HAVE been victimized after having info on the internet exposed. Are you really not familiar with how severe internet bullying can get? Are you so dense, or blinded by your trust of Blizzard?

    By the way, I cancelled my StarCraft II preorder without hesitation after this was announced. I have been looking forward to this game for over 10 years. I can't believe that I'm going to have to skip the game because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Morag

    I was going to write a nice lone response but I'll just send you a good old fashioned letter and give you a phone call to confirm.

    Scott Hellyer
    80 Green Ave E
    Penticton, BC V2A 7P4
    (250) 493-1215

    ReplyDelete
  9. Info that I have posted on the internet...
    -Name
    -Gender
    -Sexual preference
    -Age
    -Email
    -Address (current will be hard to find)
    -phone# (will be hard to find it)
    -schools
    -facebook
    -twitter
    -youtube
    -myspace

    give a search of my name in google and you will find me... Send me a message on facebook if you think you found something that would ruin my life.

    And hey Belkira :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @akwey
    Wrong address and phone number
    same city

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Scott Hellyer, I hope you enjoy your pizza, you'll be getting alot of those the next few days. Perhaps some sushi too? 500$ orders sound fine?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's a reasonable solution to slow down the forums. Those who require anonymity will migrate somewhere else. You are not intrinsically entitled to privacy on the forums, and no one is making you post and expose yourself as a player.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, my name is Brandeana aka Kaelsin and I am not immmune to the internets :(

    Also, this was win.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Morag

    "I welcome this change
    The internet is a place currently where people can do what ever they want (well almost anything...) with out repercussion.
    "

    The danger IS THE REPERCUSSION.

    If I decide I don't like you, I can ruin your reputation. I have decided that you're a troll.

    Does that mean that you are? Who the fuck cares! I've got your name and info regardless.

    I helped admin a very large forum, which came to have more than one murderer, many stalkers, and so very much IRL harrassment (including personal friends of mine.)

    There is absolutely nothing in RealID that would prevent this, or make it less prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My last thing I said was... "I support blizzards ideas on making the game, and soon to be, the internet a more enjoyable place."

    With seeing how the media is already reporting on this, I do hope this opens many doors to making the internet a safer place for all.

    I deal with people having there computers fucked with on a daily occurrence.

    Ether people need to be better educated about the internet or someone needs to step in and make is a better place. The internet is not going away anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Morag:

    Posting real names to make the internet safer is like fucking for virginity.

    "Ether people need to be better educated about the internet or someone needs to step in and make is a better place. The internet is not going away anytime soon."

    I'm sure the literal axe murderer that had an account simply didn't know enough about the internet.

    I'm sure the people who kill other gamers because they looted the magic sword didn't know enough about the internet.

    You're the uneducated one here, bub.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm one of the few people on the web whom googling will give you little or NO information (I've looked), and I'm still absolutely opposed to this.

    What is especially worrying is that Blizzard claimed in an interview that they anticipated little or no backlash from this decision. Which only goes to show that they are either arrogant beyond belief or flat out did not think this through. The latter seems very unlikely for a company their size...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how most of the tards saying that there is no danger in this move have no fucking clue exactly how deadly this can become.

    There are alot of people balanced on the razors edge from being socially withdrawn and wrapped up in a video game. Just because you have moral block aids that prevent you from roping up someone and forcing them to watch you kill their entire family slowly, then removing each of their limbs with a spoon just to watch them bleed to death....doesnt mean we all have those restraints.

    If you fail to protect your family every way p[ossible by not making your information available, then you may be responsible for their pain some day

    ReplyDelete
  20. heres a neat little site that I use as a recovery agent every day. All the sites on the links tab are free to the public and the site is mine so feel free to show Blizzard how easy this is and pass it on to anyone you may know

    http://shamelessdog.webs.com/apps/links/

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1) access your battle-net and your email
    2) change your name for anything (John Doe or Your Mom, ie)
    3) ???
    4) profit

    stop QQ and check the possibilities. be smart, bunch of idiots.

    i can't believe how USA could be a great nation with millions of dumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @shamelessdog: "I love how most of the tards saying that there is no danger in this move have no fucking clue exactly how deadly this can become."

    If I am properly "educated", I learn that nobody on the internet is crazy, everyone is concerned about their "reputation" (also nobody, because there's no possible way to say anything controversial and not be a "troll"), nobody hates women, nobody hates gays, nobody is racist, and nobody googles potential job applicants, but if they would they would 100% approve of gaming as a hobby and not take internet forums as a security risk.

    Also, being forcibly outed (without choice) as one of a marginalized group doesn't further marginalize the person.

    It's all so clear!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @I don't

    "2) change your name for anything (John Doe or Your Mom, ie)"

    You can't change your RealID name, moron.

    "i can't believe how USA could be a great nation with millions of dumbs."

    It must feel pretty shitty to be included in this "millions of dumbs", but there you are.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't believe you did that, but thank you for giving that insight into how easily it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  25. imminent danger because your name was posted online isn't the problem with Real ID. The issue is that Activision-Blizzard are obviously trying to make a profit by giving away your personal information.

    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Morag You have never been stalked on-line before. It does NOT make the Internet a more enjoyable place to make it easier for people you have never met find personal information about you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Brendan: They're both issues. The first is very harmful to less people, the second is slightly harmful to very many people.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for this post. This is exactly what I wanted to write, but you've written it so much better. I am honestly stunned Blizz would steamroll its userbase like this...and I do NOT buy the argument that real life names are going to get rid of trolls. If you want to make everyone use the same nick all the time on the forums, you could easily do that without necessitating an account's RL ID be associated.

    Also, as a female, I'd like to point out that there's plenty of people who don't want their gender/race/whatever outed by a game company...it's bad enough getting people to take you seriously in PVP if you're a chick, let alone if there were "proof".

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Cryo wow, that's an angle I never even considered. That's totally worth mentioning. I'd love to read a blog post about how this change relates to gender. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My issue with this whole situation has more to do with control of information rather than the information itself.

    Admittedly, I do use Facebook with moderate security settings and anyone who wanted to could get at my real name and go from there. That doesn't bother me because I made the CHOICE to make this information available. If I wanted to, I could close the account and make a new one with the name "Snappy McWhipplebottom" and only invite friends I know.

    With RealID, however, that choice is completely taken away from you. You are REQUIRED to link your real name to your forum account so the only choice you have in terms of controlling your information is to either a) not post on the forums ever again or b) quit playing any Blizzard games. Neither are great choices.

    To summarize, on social networking sites, I can choose my level of privacy, essentially choosing to "Opt In" to displaying my real name if I so choose. There is no choice to "Opt Out" of RealID short of cutting off ALL access to the official Blizzard community.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Morag you feel the way you do because you probably live in your parent's house and have nothing to lose. Let's see how you feel when you have your own place and a wife and kids to protect.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello EVERYONE, I am nastya from moscow, My husband left me because he felt I can bear children. But to God be the glory, i met people talking of this priestess and how powerful her spell is. her website is thespellpriestessmunak.webs.com, I contact through the website and she emailed me priestessmunak@ gmail.com... before i Contacted her I heard she brings family together. I contacted her and she gave me a spell that made me conceive a baby girl 3 months ago, that's after she has already bring back my husband who left and divorce me. But now we are happily living together. and I am 3 months pregnant.
    I met this woman priestess and my life changed. Yours could be too if you met her to solve your problems with her spell. It worked me for and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete